Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chloe

Chloe is Euriponditis' love interest.  She was Iphicles's wife, yet although he loved her and treated her well, it was an arranged marriage and she does not care for her husband, who is ten years older than her.  When she meets Euriponditis, she initially thinks that he is handsome, and as preparations begin for the boar hunt, she spends a lot of time in his company.  He is strong, noble, and a witty conversationalist.  She is a clever woman, but her husband doesn't see this.  He believes in the traditional role of women.  Chloe feels trapped in her marriage, and at first Euriponditis is a good friend, but by the time the hunt has finished, she realizes that she is in love with him.  She has no children. 

Chloe's lines
Oh heart, that cannot find the strength to love
where I am wed but turns to one whom I
may never have. Oh! Fate, that I were free
to give my love to Euriponditis
A man so kind, and noble, and loyal
He doth deserve the heart and hand of one
Still fair, and young, and free, not such as I

My husband lies dead, by my lover's hand
Ye Fates, why give me what my heart desires?
Will I be cursed if I so choose to go
And wed, so soon a widow, to the man
Who sent my husband down to Hades' realm?
Yet I can feel no grief in my freedom.

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca, you're a natural at this! It makes me almost want to write the entire script!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kent, you are so sweet to say that. :D

    ReplyDelete